by Sonali Paul
Here are 5 Quick Facts to think about during an internationally tense time like this:
1. This isn’t just happening in Nigeria. Extremist groups who shelter their true motives under the name of a sacred religion are using innocent girls around the world as leverage. You name a country, it’s probably happening or has happened there.
2. Did you know? WOMEN and GIRLS are HUMANS too. NO human life should pay the price in order for a financial, political, or social decision to come into fruition.
3. Take note: Pakistani Malala Yousafzai has the strength in character that we – male or female – should all strive to have. Ever heard the phrase “The only way to be heard is to actually speak up”? Well, do it! Malala, who isn’t afraid of what the Taliban says or does to her, sure does. Mostly an advocate for women’s rights and education, thanks to her own dreadful experience, this survivor refuses to play victim. A lesson to all women: “victims never gain victory.”
4. Boko Haram: a religious extremist group? NO. Hiding under the umbrella of Islam, a notably peaceful and inspiring religion, this attention-seeking extremist group is really just wishing to spur a civil disagreement within Nigeria for their own benefit. In order to gain more power and control the state of affairs to go their way, Boko Haram is terrorizing as much of Nigeria, it’s people, and it’s villages as it can. Let’s get one fact straight: Islam (nor any practicing Muslim) does not condone the actions or methods of this terrorist group. Vice versa, such actions are no reflection of true Muslim teachings or codes of conduct.
5. What can you do to help? Spread the word! With social media taking over our lives, the #BringBackOurGirls campaign needs to continuously be trending and go viral, and then reach our able-to-act representatives. Finding the kidnapped girls should be an international first priority. What if this affected or was happening to your loved ones?
Spread the word by sending us your #BringBackOurGirls photo for us to feature!
Featured Image via S2SMagazine.com