2016 has seriously been a legendary year in music history. Rihanna, Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, Drake, The Weeknd, John Legend, and Ariana Grande among many others absolutely slayed us with new album drops. Just when you though you might’ve recovered from Beyonce’s “Lemonade,” Frank Ocean released “Blonde” after a four-year hiatus. Besides the major album releases, a lot of independent artists came out with singles or EPs that gained well-deserved fame. Chance the Rapper gained attention after appearing on Kanye’s album and made his own mark with his unsigned album “Coloring Book.” Zayion McCall and Zay Hilfigerrr created the biggest viral hit on YouTube and had the entire country dancing to “Juju on that beat.” And a variety of good music was definitely much needed to get through this crazy year.
Bollywood, on the other hand, had a pretty lukewarm year when it came to new music. But it didn’t fail to deliver a few hits that quickly became cult classics for every dance party, whether at a wedding or in your car. These songs got every aunty, uncle, and child up on their feet.
As difficult as a task it was, I attempted to gather 16 songs in 2016 that had us dancing through the year. Here is a round-up of eight Bollywood and eight mainstream songs in no particular order that kept us up when we were feeling down.
16. “Nashe Si Chad Gaye” | Arijit Singh | “Befikre”
15. “Cheap Thrills” | Sia | “This is Acting”
14. “The Breakup Song” | Arijit Singh, Jonita Gandhi, Badshah, Nakash Aziz | “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil”
13. “Formation” | Beyonce | “Lemonade”
So when are we making this song our national anthem? Actually, is it possible for an entire album to be an anthem?
12. “Kar Gayi Chull” | Badshah, Fazilpuria, Neha Kakkar, Sukriti Kakkar | “Kapoor and Sons”
11. “Starboy” | The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
10. “Baby ko Bass Pasand hai” | Vishal Dadlani, Shalmali Kholgade, Isheeta, Badshah | “Sultan”
9. “Famous” | Kanye West ft. Rihanna, Swizz Beatz | “The Life of Pablo”
Besides being one of the most drama-surrounded releases of the year, this is a song that will get a crowd hype. No wonder Kanye started his first Saint Pablo show by performing this song.
[Read Related: 9 Throwback Bhangra Songs for Your End-of-Summer Road Trip]
8. “High Heel te Nachche” | Meet Bros. ft. Jaz Dhami and Aditi Singh Sharma | “Ki and Ka”
This song kicked off our Bollywood dance playlist this year. With one of the first releases of this year, Kareena Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor, had us warming up our dancing shoes.
7. “This is What You Came For” | Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna
6. “Beat pe Booty” | Sachin, Jigar, Vayu, Kanika Kapoor | “A Flying Jatt”
5. “Cold Water” | Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber and MØ
4. “Let’s Nacho” | Badshah, Benny Dayal | “Kapoor and Sons”
3. “Work” | Rihanna ft. Drake | “ANTI”
2. “Kala Chashma” | Amar Arshi, Badshah, Neha Kakkar | “Baar Baar Dekho”
1. “One Dance” | Drake | “Views”
This is just a few of many big hits this year that had us all dancing through 2016. Share with us what had you up on your feet this year on our social media accounts. What would you add to this list?