The following post was originally published to Zheelicious.com and republished here with permission.
In case y’all didn’t hear, Taco Bell is dropping the cult-favorite Mexican Pizza off their menu officially (in addition to pico de gallo and shredded chicken) and it’s really hard to face the facts. This is the one item off their menu that each member of our family eats and has loved forever. Mexican Pizza is so deep-rooted for me because it’s one of the first times I tried food from a restaurant after moving to the country at the of 11, and honestly, my life changed forever. So many memories are attached to this one meal, family parties, game nights, celebrations, birthdays, you name it, and we’ve had the Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell for many of the big moments in my life. And I’m sure many of you feel the same way, especially if you grew up in a vegetarian household as I did. I’m so sad to see it go, but I know I can always make it at home and now you can too!
View this post on Instagram
Getting rid of the Mexican Pizza, according to Taco Bell, is part of the company’s eco-friendly commitment and a way to shed complexities and costs during the pandemic. Packaging for the pizza amounts to more than 7 million pounds of paperboard per year.
My Taco Bell order consists of three things: Mexican pizza, cheesy bean and rice burrito grilled, and fiesta potatoes. But the Mexican Pizza will always be my favorite. While we are all quarantined and have to officially bid farewell to their twist on a pizza pie, have yourself a Taco Bell night.
- I used Aztec brand tortilla, it’s hard to find on the east coast, but check out Walmart, sometimes they have it in the cheese aisle.
- You can use Chi-Chi’s tortilla if you can’t find Aztec.
- The Taco Bell sauce bottle is sold at Walmart and some Indian grocery stores.
- If you can’t find Taco Bell sauce, Trader Joe’s has a good taco sauce.
- Use any sauce you like from the selection, Mild, Hot or Fire. I like Fire the best!
- 10 tortillas
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1.5 tbsp taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Fire Taco bell sauce
- Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2-3 chillies, chopped or 1 jalapeño
- Poke all the tortillas with a fork, so they don’t puff when frying. shallow fry the tortillas until golden brown.
- Air fry option: Air-fry the tortillas at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until they are crispy. Air fry one tortilla at a time make sure to put the tortilla underneath the grill so it doesn’t jump around.
- In a pot heat some oil, add the refried beans, water, garlic powder, red chilli powder, and taco seasoning. Mix everything well then set it aside.
- On a fried tortilla spread the refried beans, top it with some cheese. Put another fried tortilla spread on the taco bell sauce and top it with more cheese.
- Put the pizza in the oven and toast for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Top it with onions, tomatoes, spring onions, and chillies. Do this until all the pizzas are made.
- Cut and enjoy!