Rahul Saharan, a professional photographer based in New Delhi, India, broke global ground with a moving and inspiring photo shoot, featuring five young acid attack survivors, named Rupa, Laxmi, Ritu, Sonam and Chanchal. Here are nine facts from behind the scenes of this revolutionary photo shoot.
1. The photo shoot was initially inspired to display not only the beauty of all girls, but as a way to display the hard work of Rupa’s collection, Rupa’s Designs.
2. When shooting these photos, Rahul Saharan had no intentions of an international response. The photos were taken candidly to show the happiness of the girls.
3. Saharan believes that India needs feminism.
4. “India needs feminism, it’s the right of every girl and she doesn’t need to fight for it and despite of that she is still fighting from a small village to a big city,” Saharan said.
5. Saharan is working on a film featuring acid-attack survivors. The film will follow the lives of the girls featured in the photo-shoot.
6. Rahul believes that the girls featured in the photo shoot are an inspiration and example for girls globally.
7. Rupa is working towards opening her own clothing boutique, Chhanv’s Closet.
8. Rupa’s stepmother, who attacked her, was in jail for a mere 18 months, and is now living in India as a free woman.
9. Rupa has since disowned her father for supporting her stepmother.
To help Rupa achieve her dream of becoming a fashion designer, then you should check out her BitGiving campaign to learn more about her project and see how you can get involved.
Subrina Singh is a passionate young writer. After completing her degree in all things Indian at Stony Brook University, she is now pursuing her Master’s Degree at Columbia University. More recently, she has become committed to using her experience with mental illness to help better the mental-health awareness within the South Asian community. Subrina enjoys writing, reading and drinking Starbuck’s Passion Tea Lemonade while singing Bollywood hits of the Golden Era. Follow Subrina on Twitter for her reactions to Pretty Little Liars every Tuesday night!